Total Pageviews

Jan 9, 2012

Visiting the Leslie St. Spit

Toronto skyline from the Leslie Street Spit
A few of the Leslie Street Spit's 55,000 Ring-billed Gulls (6% of the world's population)
It's not just birds that fly low over the Leslie Street Spit - Porter Airlines planes lands nearby
Far from the Spit, I spotted this Red-tailed Hawk when I was almost home in King City!
All photos by BarrytheBirder

It was a mild +9C when I reached the outskirts of Toronto on my way to the Leslie Street Spit, this past Saturday.   Huge, puffy, summer-like, white clouds filled the bright sky on the way down the Don Valley Parkway to Lake Ontario.   By the time I reached Lake Ontario, the temperature  had dropped to +7C, near the water.   Everyone and his brother was there, enjoying the balmy winter day.   I didn't see many birds up close but I certainly appreciated the sense of being in a place that is touted as one of the world's best urban wilderness parks.   The man-made headland juts 5 kilometres out into Lake Ontario and is has essentially been turned over to wild birds and critters.   May it always be so.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB
 Ps. If you live in my vicinity of King City or King Township, 
you may be interested in my new blog called camera on KING.   
Google it at camera on king barry wallace
or go to  http://cameraonking.blogspot.com/

No comments: