Total Pageviews

Jan 21, 2012

The real suet is a big hit



























Photos by BarrytheBirder
The Downy Woodpeckers love the real suet I have switched to, instead of the reconstituted suet blocks that I have put out for many years.   I don't know why I didn't switch sooner, especially since my butcher gave me the suet free!   Those other blocks aren't cheap.   The female (left) and male (right) pictured above are now a constant presence throughout the day, whereas before they were irregular visitors.   I am disappointed that the Hairy Woodpecker hasn't joined them yet.   A male Hairy showed up twice in the late fall but I haven't seen him since.   This extremely mild and variable winter weather that we've had so far seems to be confounding assumptions and predictions about feeding behaviours for a lot of species, but I am content to see what I shall see.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB
Ps.    If you live in the vicinity of  King City or King Township
you may be interested in my new blog called camera on KING.
Google it at camera on king barry wallace 
or go to http://cameraonking.blogspot.com

No comments: