Total Pageviews

May 23, 2011

Osprey shares nest with sparrow

I stopped by the Osprey nest at the King Campus Seneca College to check on the big birds and their nesting success.  I caught up with them just as they were making a switch.   One landed and hunkered down on what I assume are eggs, while the other took off on a hunting foray.   As I circled the light standard in the parking lot, I noticed what I thought was a sparrow flying up underneath the light and into the bottom of the Osprey nest.   When I got home and downloaded the picture, lo and behold, a sparrow was in the picture.   The Osprey and the sparrow seem like unlikely duplex dwellers, but then Ospreys eat fish, not other birds.   Below is a section of the long and lovely, willow-fringed outflow from Lake Jonda at Seneca, which flows south, and crosses King's 15th Sideroad, before joined the East Humber River.

   Please comment if you wish.                                                                                    BarrytheBirder photos
    BtheB

No comments: