Total Pageviews

May 29, 2011

Kayaks lead me astray

This morning I was on my way to explore a nearby nature area that I had never visited before: the Jefferson Forest.   On my way, I drove past Sunset Beach on Lake Wilcox, at Oak Ridges.   The Richmond Hill Canoe Club was hosting a race day and there were hundreds of participants and spectators on hand for the event.   I'd never seen this annual race meet before so decided I would watch for a while.   For starters, everyone was incredibly fit.   There were 13 and 14-year-olds, male and female, who all had shoulders twice as broad as mine.   The young lady below had a handy lead in a one-mile sprint.       (BarrytheBirder photos)
My overall opinion was that this event was highly competitive, colourful and social.   There was excitement in the air and great camaraderie everywhere.   It was impressive to see so many fit young people.   I was so enjoyably diverted by the kayaks, I never did get to the Jefferson Forest.   But that's what tomorrows are for, right?
BtheB  

No comments: