Total Pageviews

Nov 6, 2014

Trumpeter Swans passing through

Photos by BarrytheBirder
I was returning from a book store on Tuesday morning where I had just purchased a new copy of "The Stokes Field Guide to the Birds of North America"  and spotted, on the Glenville Pond, what I was sure was a Trumpeter Swan.   I got my camera out and positioned myself on the edge of the water and discovered a second 'Trumpeter'.   I took a couple of pictures and then spotted a third and fourth swan.   One them had a tag attached to a wing and I was sure these lovely birds were on their southward migration to warmer climes.   


The Stokes field guide I mentioned above is the first new field guide I have purchased in ten years.   I have two dozen bird field guides, including one that dates back to the early 1900s. I will be interested to see if my new Stokes guide makes reference to any of the many North American birds that are moving their summer ranges northward on a permanent basis because of global warming.   My first Stokes guidebook, published in 1995, did not even list Trumpeter Swans.   My brand new Stokes guidebook, published in late 2010, has a full inclusion of the Trumpeter.

Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: