Total Pageviews

Nov 5, 2014

Ted Bird's Red-bellied Woodpecker

                                                                                                                              Photos by BarrytheBirder
My long-time friend, Ted Bird, sent me three pictures of a Red-bellied Woodpecker at his backyard birdfeeder recently.   As I have never had one at my backyard feeder, I asked Ted if I could visit with my camera.   On Monday, I drove up to Schomberg and sat in Ted's livingroom, with a cup of coffee, and Ted and I had a lengthy chat about several things, including birds.   The Red-bellied Woodpecker, a male, showed up several times (see photo above).   You can see the red-bellied spot that gives this bird its name, but which is not always visible, especially from the rear.   This bird could have been called a Red-headed Woodpecker but the name was already taken by another woodpecker with an even more resplendent red head.   Uninitiated bird-watchers are to be forgiven for not recognizing the Red-bellied because of an angle that often precludes its red spot, low on its belly. The female of this species has a red head also but it is confined to the nape of her head.  Ted also has Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers as regular visitors to his feeders and has also had a Pileated Woodpecker visit.   The two pictures below, were also taken on my Monday morning visit to the 'Bird' house: a 'Downy' on the left and a 'Hairy' on the right.   It was a very pleasant hour spent watching the birds come and go and I'd like to thank Ted again for his hospitality. 


Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: