Total Pageviews

Feb 21, 2015

Bitterns and Stealth Bombers

 Photo by BarrytheBirder
Bear with me for a minute while I try to explain why Bitterns remind me of Stealth Bombers. The bittern has that long streamlined shape in flight and it has a sleek relaxed wing beat that hardly looks like flying at all, sometimes.   I took the photo above at Luther Marsh of a silent, stealthy Bittern relocating itself to a more comfortable distance away from me.   Below is another photo of a Bittern taken by Tony McLean at wordpress.com also showing the bird's streamlined aerodynamic in-flight profile.   I always thought my proclivity for imagining a bittern as nature's stealth bomber was a somewhat singular fascination.   Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon the composite-image photo, at bottom, of a falcon and a Northrop Grumann B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber, taken by David Cenciotti/The Aviationist.   The bird species are different but the speculative likenesses to the jet aircraft are strong, in my mind.   Well, maybe the falcon's snub beak is more like the Stealth nose.   Okay, I think this is enough dubious conjecture for one day.   Have a good one.     


Photo by Tony McLean/wordpress.com

Composite image compiled by David Cenciotti/The Aviationist - Image sources: megawallpaper.org and Reddit


Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: