Total Pageviews

Feb 15, 2012

Could you eat a Robin?


"Supped on Robens which my Chum and Wingate killed" ~ 1759

Photo by BarrytheBirder

I took the picture above exactly one year ago on February 15th.   It was the first Robin I had seen in and around King Township in 2011.   This year they have have been around and about all winter and in great numbers.   Three days ago, I was re-reading BIRDS at YOUR FEEDER, by Erica Dunn and Diane Tessaglia-Hymes, and these women had the following to say about the American Robin: "Once hunted commonly for food, it now enjoys a more peaceful association with man".   I don't know why I was surprised to read this, but I was.   I easily found the quote over  the robin picture (above) on Google and realized that robins were probably once a tasty treat for many early Americans.    Even today, although robins are protected by the Migratory Bird Act, one can still shoot robins, with a special permit, if they are shown to be marauding berry and cherry crops.   Apart from the fact that many robins have stayed north this winter, the common practise is for robins is to migrate to the south-eastern parts of the United States in great numbers.   Roosts of more than a million robins have been observed in recent years.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB 
Ps.   If you live in the vicinity of King City or King Township,
you may be interested in my new blog camera on KING.
Google it at cameraonking.com
or go to http://cameraonking.blogspot.com/
        

No comments: