Total Pageviews

Mar 15, 2015

22 hummingbird species In Trinidad & Tobago

Photo by MeegC/wikipedia
Copper-rumped Hummingbird
Amazilia tobaci erythronota
The Copper-rumped Hummingbird is one of 22 hummingbird species one can find on the islands of Trinidad and/or Tobago.   Trinidad, the larger of the two-island nation, is home to 20 of the 22 species (15 of which are exclusive to Trinidad) while Tobago is home to seven of the 22 species (two of which are exclusive to the smaller island).   The beautiful picture above was taken at the world-famous Asa Wright Nature Centre in Trinidad.   Many times I thought I would like to visit Trinidad but haven't made it yet.   Of course I could see even more hummingbirds if I flew to Ecuador (135 species), Venezuela (104 species), or Bolivia (82 species).   But so far I have not been able to afford to get to Trinidad, so mainland South America is even more unlikely.   It is alluring though.   My friend and neighbour, here in King City, Ontario, Gerry Binsfeld, saw over 500 species in three weeks on his last trip to South America.   One day maybe...
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: