Total Pageviews

Dec 30, 2010

Pileated Woodpeckers near Ottawa

I was in the Ottawa area for Christmas this year and spent most of my time watching the antics of my four grandchildren and it was great fun.   I saw hardly any birds at all but the exception were several Pileated Woodpeckers.   I haven't seen one yet this winter near home, but I look forward to seeing one and getting some photos.   The Pileated is probably the biggest woodpecker in the world.   Two larger ones are the Imperial Woodpecker and Ivory-billed Woodpecker, both of the Mexico/Central America areas and both almost sure to be extinct.   We are so lucky to be able to see this magnificent bird with regularity in this part of the world.   Its size, roller-coaster flight path, and loud rising-and-falling wuck-a-wuck-a-wuck-a call are very distinctive.   My friend Glenn McKinnon sent me the photo above.   I believe his wife, Jo, took the photo, at their home, in the Muskoka region of Ontario.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB       

No comments: