Total Pageviews

Dec 8, 2010

Cold Cormorant in trouble

Photo by BarrytheBirder








This is the Cormorant I mentioned in my blog back on Nov. 25. The canal at the Holland Marsh is almost completely frozen over and it was occupying one of the last very small patches of open water and was unable to escape. It dived under the water but had to come up in the same spot or be trapped under the ice. I now had time to take its photo. I was puzzled that it still had not migrated south before the freeze-up. Then I noticed its left wing was being held up at an odd angle (see photo above - click on it to enlarge). I think this wing is damaged. So now, apparently it cannot fly and if it could the ice has taken away its take-off stretch of water. The temperature this morning was -12C. Its prospects seem dismal. I called the Toronto Animal Rescue hotline and alerted them to the Cormorant's plight. They asked to see the photos I took and said they would consult with their rescuers about a possible intervention tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for a follow-up.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: