Total Pageviews

Jun 23, 2020

Red-bellied Woodpecker

                                                                                        Photo by BarrytheBirder
Red-bellied Woodpecker
(Melanerpes carolinus)
I spotted my first Red Bellied-Woodpecker in 1996 in Niagara-On-The-Lake.   My only sightings since have been on my old friend Ted Bird's backyard deck in Schomberg, Ontario.   My most recent sighting there was this past Saturday.   This woodpecker's red belly is often difficult to see.   They grow up to 10.5 inches long and are a striking sight.   They are often called the "Zebraback".   Other common names are 'flag bird', 'jelly coat', 'patriotic bird' and 'shirttail bird'.   The southern Great Lakes are now the northern limit of their regular range.
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: