Total Pageviews

May 5, 2017

Surprise for me at Richmond Hill Mill Pond



FISH or WATERFOWL
DIVING IN THE MILL POND?

 Photos by BarrytheBirder
IT'S A
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT
I have never seen or heard of Double-crested Cormorants being on the Richmond Hill Mill Pond before today.   Upon returning from dropping off my wife, who is a volunteer at the local hospital, I drove past the mill pond just to see what might be there.   I was very surprised to see a pair of cormorants and quickly took a few pictures -- some shown here.   This should cause a stir at the local Richmond Hill Naturalists Club and among regular mill pond visitors.   The mill pond is not big, so I don't know if it could feed two cormorants for long.   Moreover, the mill pond is completely surrounded by homes and park infrastructure, which would make having a nest very risky.   They are nevertheless, very entertaining to watch, and some small children nearby were mesmerized.




Letting those wings dry out.


Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: