Total Pageviews

Jan 11, 2015

Fewer finches ~ a lot more Juncos


More Juncos
Someone asked me a couple of days ago, at the Nobleton Feed Mill, if I had noticed there were a lot fewer American Goldfinches at the feeders so far this winter, in this part of Ontario.   I replied in the affirmative, but added I have had a lot more Dark-eyed Juncos than ever before.   I also have had more White-throated Sparrows and American Tree Sparrows than ever before, but fewer House Finches and Purple Finches.   These are somewhat different patterns than I am used to, but I do not know the reasons.   I'll keep feeding whatever shows up and enjoy it every day.   No doubt, at the end of the winter there will be observations and studies that will explain this winter's avian menagerie and range patterns.
.     
 Photos by BarrytheBirder
Fewer Goldfinches
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: