Total Pageviews

Nov 26, 2011

Mildest November ever?

                                                                                                                     Female Junco photo by BarrytheBirder
For the past week or so I've been commenting to people that I will be 70 years old in a couple of weeks and I don't ever remember a November as mild as this one in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.   Most people politely nod or make a very brief comment about how it may be so.   One or two oldtimers seem to remember a November that might have been milder, and a few others eye me apprehensively for what might be coming next.   Well, today I read what Dave Phillips, senior climatologist with Environment Canada, and the man acknowledged, far and wide, as the foremost weather expert in Canada, had to say about the possibility.   "In my business, we break records by a fraction of a degree", he said.   "But we've literally smashed it by one full degree (Celsius)".   With just a few days left in the month, plus a warm forecast until the 29th, a new record seems a certainty.   One of the people I accosted with this amazing news wondered whether it was good or bad.   I for one think it is good...and hope that December will set a record also!   Meanwhile, the Dark-eyed Juncos arrived 3 weeks ago and are gorging themselves.   Instinct prevails.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB 

No comments: