Total Pageviews

Aug 26, 2011

Sandhill Cranes near Orangeville

Photo by BarrytheBirder
Admittedly, these Sandhill Cranes were a fair distance from me, but I was thrilled to get the picture anyway.   They were gleaning leftover seeds from the recent harvest of a field, several kilometres north-east of Orangeville, Ontario.   At their tallest (48"), they are almost as tall as Whooping Cranes.   I decided immediately to re-visit this area, and search out the Luther Marsh area in particular to search for large and small cranes and egrets as well as shorebirds.   Hopefully I'll have some pictures to show soon.
BtheB

2 comments:

LivingInAurora.ca said...

I did not know we had such big cranes here in Ontario. Thank you for sharing, I will make a mental note for future. Anna :)

Bigwom said...

I love the soft colours in this pic.