Total Pageviews

Aug 17, 2011

Our most familiar butterfly...

Photo by BarrytheBirder
He said, 'I look for butterflies
That sleep among the wheat:
I make them into mutton-pies,
And sell them in the street.'
The White Knight speaks to Alice in Lewis Carroll's Through The Looking Glass (1872) ch. 8
 
I photographed this Monarch Butterfly on the King City Trails this afternoon.   This evening I browsed the field guides to see if there was anything I might learn that I had never stumbled upon before.   Well there was.   Anyone in North Ameica knows that the Monarch is our most recognizable butterfly and is found in Canada, the U.S.A. and Mexico.   But did you know that it was colonized and is resident on many oceanic islands, including Hawaii and Australia.   So says the Roger Tory Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Butterflies (2001 Edition).
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB

No comments: