Total Pageviews

Aug 29, 2020

Fox Sparrow

 

Photo by BarrytheBirder
FOX SPARROW
Passerella iliaca
I happened across a Fox Sparrow in my photo file today and I realized I hadn't seen one in a while.   I thought of the first one I had ever seen in Mississauga on my very first Federation of Ontario Naturalists outing, 26 years ago.   That particular sighting was the one that is officially recorded on my life list.  The FON outing had just begun and I spotted the Fox Sparrow 10' in front of me.   I alerted the tour leader who pointed it out to everyone on the tour.   Everyone was delighted to see it because it is such a large and colourful sparrow.   I was slightly embarrassed that I had so quickly spotted and identified this bird, because I was supposed to be a neophyte birder, like everyone else that day.   Even the tour leader gave me a skeptical look.   I tried to stay out of sight near the rear of the group for the rest of the day.   This sparrow is so brightly coloured that is almost impossible not to see it readily, if it is nearby.   They are always a great sighting.   I you've seen one, you've probably never forgotten it.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry the birder   

No comments: