Total Pageviews

Mar 2, 2020

What a breathtakingly beautiful bird...

Photo by Duncan Wright
WWHITE TERNW
(Gygis alba)
I have just discovered, online, the White Tern (Gygis alba).  I'd no idea such a lovely creature existed until I inadvertently came across it a day or so ago.   I'd never heard of one before, never seen a picture of one before and never read about one before.   The White Tern is found across the world's tropical oceans, where I have never really been.   My most southerly destinations being places like Bonaire, Curacao, and Trinidad.   However the photo above was taken west of Hawaii, in the North Pacific, which I suppose could be broadly described as a tropical ocean.   Here is some of what I have quickly discovered.   The White Tern has a wingspan of 76-87 cm (30-34").   It is a long-living bird, having been recorded as living for 42 years.   They generally roam no more than 45 km from their home island, to which they always return at dusk, so skeptical navigators can often follow them to a landfall.   The White Tern was named Honolulu, Hawaii's official bird in 2007.   This lovely bird is not thought of as threatened as it is widespread with several large colonies around the world.


Please comment if you wish.    
BarrytheBirder

No comments: