Total Pageviews

Mar 24, 2020

First bluebird of the spring...


                                                                                                 Photo by BarrytheBirder
I saw my first Eastern Bluebird of the spring on March 21, as I drove along a local country road. It flew in a roller-coaster kind of fashion along the roadside treeline.  A little further along I spotted my first female Red-breasted Merganser on a small local pond.   I decided to visit the Cold Creek Conservation Area to see if I might spot some early bluebirds there.   They have been first-nesters at Cold Creek many times over the years but are always intimidated by later-arriving Tree Swallows.   The Tree Swallows force the bluebirds from the nest boxes and take them over for themselves.   The bluebirds are regulated to nesting in local shrubs which they do not like.   Bluebirds like to be situated in an exposed setting where they can see all around.   They are wary and timid at best, when it comes to other birds.   A clear view of their surroundings is added protection.
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: