Total Pageviews

Aug 15, 2012

Largest moth in the world


Photo by Peter Byrne/PA
MAtlas MothM
Attacus atlas
I know...I know...it's not a bird, but this photo caught my eye and I just had to share it.   This is an Atlas Moth, native to south-east Asia.   This is a newly-emerged specimen at the Chester Zoo, one of the UK's largest zoos and the most-visited wildlife attraction in Britain.   This specimen  is being held by butterfly keeper Heather Prince.   Atlas Moths have a wingspan of up to 30 centimetres.   According to Wikipedia, the Atlas Moth's Cantonese name translates as "snake's head moth", which refers to the image on the tips of the forewing, that when fully extended, bear a passing resemblance to a snake's head (see photo above).   Now, back to those feathered, flying thingys.
Please comment if you wish.
BtheB


1 comment:

kara j Lincoln said...

What fun that had to be to find this!

Do you know their eating habits and behavior's?

Thank you for sharing!

I once found a small beautiful moth in water by my sail boat, blown in from storm, and I had a hard time getting it, but I put it back on shore and it fell in water again, so again I struggled to get it out and kept in a closed area, fed it, gave water and in a few days it flew away! Very nice experience!

If more understood how beautiful life on earth is, they would do more to save it!

May I put this photo in my networking at `i come to talk story? We are transitioning a new platform to rid toxic from earth-space, saving all life! I will be studying more trans boundary migration of large browsers, to support them to return `boon with people!

Please join in! This document is to be followed up into a archive message board, and intro once finished, as well I using it for a Nuclear-peace platform sharing skilled intermediaries, to save the complex life that sustains us all!

Let me know please if I can post this photo!

Peace be with your decisions!
kara j lincoln


https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t448KrG5TvFscv1WDisFHbFX4-gr8SCyV_kk0eW8ExA/edit?usp=sharing