Total Pageviews

Jul 4, 2022

More photos of my favourite small birds...


Dark-eyed Juncos

Photos by BarrytheBirder

Several days ago I showed two of my favourite Junco photos and today I am presenting another two photos of this small bird I admire so much.   I'd also like to quote Ken Kaufman from his 'Lives of North American Birds' where he writes of Juncos thusly: "Attractive gray sparrows of open woodlands, juncos usually have white outer tail feathers, conspicuous when they fly up from the ground.   The various kinds are found from northern Canada and Alaska to Panama, but they are mainly birds of cooler climates; toward the south, they live mainly in high mountains.   In many parts of North America, juncos occur only as winter visitors, with little flocks coming to backyard birds feeders".  Occurring only as winter visitors is certainly the case where I live, just north of Toronto, Ontario, despite the presence of late autumn green grass in the photos above.
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: