Total Pageviews

Nov 16, 2020

All the Birds of the World...

Photo by Alain Pascua
My long-awaited copy of All the Birds of the World (Josep del Hoyo, Editor) has finally arrived.   It is a 971-page hard-cover book published by Lynx Edicions in Spain.   A large-format book, it weighs in at 4.8 kg.   I had a good idea of what to expect when I got in and sat down at the dining room table and opened it randomly at Page 491.   The first bird that caught my eye was at the top-right corner of the page and was a CROW HONEYEATER (Gymnomyza aubryana).   No, I'd never heard of one before, either.  It is one of just 11,362 extant species in the book!  I'm about to enter my eightieth year of age, so this is probably the last bird guide I'll buy, which is good because this new one was not cheap.    

                                                                                                                                            Photo by Richard Fuller
CROW HONEYEATER
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: