Total Pageviews

Mar 15, 2019

Early arrival over King City by Great Blue Huron...

Photo by BarrytheBirder
My first Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodius) of this year flew over my house yesterday.   Much local water is still frozen over, so i'm skeptical about how many fish this Great Blue is going to find in the middle of March here in southern Ontario, north of Toronto.   The Big Blue was heading south when I saw it, so perhaps it was returning a bit south to open water in Lake Ontario.   Sighting it certainly warmed my cold spirits nicely.
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

1 comment:

Robert Campbell said...

I was hanging a nesting box (duck)down at our lake this week , and even though we're still knee deep in snow and 2 feet of ice , I heard the welcoming sound of Red-winged Blackbirds. Sun sun sun here it comes.