Total Pageviews

Sep 5, 2026

Common Loon (Gavia immer)

Photo: American Birding Association

There is a widely held impression that the top ten most iconic and frequently observed bird species in Canada are the

Common Loon
Canada Goose
Black-capped Chickadee
American Robin
Bald Eagle
Blue Jay
Northern Cardinal
Downey Woodpecker 
Mallard Duck
Red-winged Blackbird

I have see, heard or photographed all ten of these species over the last several decades, but it is always the Common Loon that comes to mind as my favourite.   As a teenager and young adult, I made many canoe trips in south-central Ontario and the loud, soulful wail of the Common Loon resounds in my head to this day at 84 years of age. 
I hope if I have one last chance at a canoe trip, at 85 years of age, I will once more hear the loon's unforgettable and unique call on a remote Ontario lake.

Please comment if you wish.
Barry the Birder


No comments: