Total Pageviews

Sep 7, 2023

Osprey disappearing on Ravenshoe Road?

Photos
 by BarrytheBirder

Where have they gone?
The photo above shows what I believe to be a first-year  Osprey about to take flight above the Ravenshoe Sideroad, west of the Holland River, just before in dumps into the southern end of Lake Simcoe.   I am used to seeing many Ospreys each year in this area, just below Keswick and it is a favourite spot of mine to take Osprey photos.   
Alas, this year there is a substantial reduction in the number of Osprey to be seen in this area.   Nesting disturbance may be the culprit.   The only nest I couldn't get close to is quite a distance north on a trail that is a continuance of Yonge Street which ends at the Ravenshoe Sideroad.   However my 82-year-old legs failed me and could not get close enough to confirm a sighting.   
The picture below shows a trail heading north towards the bottom of Lake Simcoe.   A pole which has been an Osprey nesting site for many years can be seen in the distance.  Whether it was a nesting site this year I cannot say.   I shall return in the spring of next year to try my luck.   If you have a comment, please leave it here.


 Good birding friends.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: