Total Pageviews

Mar 17, 2018

Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis) at Schomberg Lagoon

Photo: Andreas Trepte / www.photo-natur-net
Barnacle Goose in King Township
I added a new bird to my life list yesterday, courtesy of my friend and King City neighbour, Gerald Binsfeld, birder extraordinaire.   Gerald alerted me to a Barnacle Goose that was to be found in the midst of 800 Canada Geese in the pond just east of the Trisan Community Centre in Schomberg, just off Hwy. 27.   It was also a 'life bird' for Gerald and many, many other birders who came from across southern Ontario to see it.   There's probably been 200 observers at the site in just the past two days.   Gerald observed that this bird was resting much more than the Canada Geese around it.   It probably had had a rough journey from its northern European/Asian homeland, what with crossing an ocean and encountering Canadian snowstorms.   My personal observation is that the Barnacle Goose is even more attractive than the similar Canada Goose.   Now, if I could just figure out how to change that life list number, above, from 425 to 426.
Please comment if you wish.  
BarrytheBirder

No comments: