Total Pageviews

Feb 23, 2018

Ubiquitous in the West Indies...

Photo by BarrytheBirder
mBANANAQUITm
(Coereba flaveola)
February in Canada is a time of year when I look back at pictures that I have taken of birds, on islands in the Caribbean Sea.    They always warm me up.  One of my favourite pictures is the one above, of a Banaquit on the island of Antigua.  Banaquits are found everywhere in the West Indies, and from Florida down to Argentina.   To me they are island icons in the Caribbean.   There are approximately 41 subspecies of this bird throughout its broad range and the birds have a highly variable appearance.   Not surprisingly, The IUCN Red List classifies this avian charmer as being of "Least Concern".

Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder


1 comment:

zz said...

Lovely picture, Barry.