Total Pageviews

Oct 25, 2017

Lucky South Americans...

Photo by BarrytheBirder
I sometimes think that South American birders are the most fortunate in the world.   Why?   Because every hummingbird in the world is to be found there.   There are about 325 species in the world, but they are found only in the western hemisphere.   And while eight hummingbirds species nest in North America in summer and 20 or so species visit North America, in winter they are all to be found in South America.   The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that have spent the summer in my backyard, headed south three weeks ago.   Was I sorry to see them go.   Yes.   Do I feel deprived?  No.  'Hummers' in a my garden are a joy every day I see them.   The memory of their sight and sound is with me 365 days of every year.   I am a lucky birder and I never forget it.
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: