Total Pageviews

Aug 28, 2016

Window-strike confuses birdwatcher

 Photos by BarrytheBirder
My friend Susan e-mailed me a few days ago to say a bird had struck one her house windows and died from the impact. She wasn't sure about the identification and described it and asked if I knew what it might me.   When she mentioned the red under-wing, covert feathers, I thought it had to be a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I had a similar window bird-strike a few years ago and I had taken a photo of the dead bird (see above).   Up to that time, I had never noticed a Rose-breasted Grosbeak's under-wing colour, nor had I read about it in the field guides.   The bird Susan discovered was probably an immature male, similar to the one pictured below which I photographed last year.      


Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments: