Photo: Tennessee Wildlife Resources
I regret to say I have never seen an Ovenbird, that I know of, even though I live in the centre of this warbler's North American range. It is quite a distinctive looking bird with its coloring and markings, however it does not forage in live vegetation but instead walks about on the ground, foraging among leaf litter and twigs, and its singing is usually done from an elevated perch high up in deciduous trees.
They eat insects, caterpillars, snails, slugs, earthworms, small amphibians, seeds, berries, and fruit.
They are more often heard than seen, singing a loud and repetitive "TEAcher-TEAcher-TEAcher" sound, rising and becoming more emphatic.
They are common in mature forests and their plump bodies are usually seen on the ground walking with their tails cocked, rather than hopping.
There have been signifigant population declines in the northeast of their range beginning in the 1970s, but they are now increasing in much of their range.
Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

No comments:
Post a Comment