I hate to see it happen, but the Swainson's Hawks I have become so enamoured with here in the Town of Aurora, just north of Toronto, Ontario, on the north shore of Lake Ontario, will be are getting ready to migrate south, possibly as far south as Argentina!
They have populating here in Aurora for the past three or four years, far from their most well-known territory of Kansas. In fact, they have displaced local Red-tailed Hawks in the south-west part of Aurora, where I live.
Swainson's Hawks have the longest possible annual migration route of any raptor in the western hemisphere, a round-trip that can go from Alaska to Argentina and back for the total of 20,000 to 24,000 kms!
The journey represents on of the longest migratory paths of any North American raptor, as tracked by the Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute.
No comments:
Post a Comment