Total Pageviews

Aug 24, 2026

I have just discovered that the Killdeer is a plover...

Photo by BarrytheBirder

 I have been a birder for longer than I can remember, but up until now, I have known almost nothing about plovers.   I have just  discovered that plovers are found all over the world except in the Sahara and the polar regions!  And now I have discovered that Killdeers are plovers.  Who knew?!?

There are 40 to 65 true plover species in the world.  Plover bird species include plovers, dotterels, and lapwings.

The highest overall species richness is concentrated in the Afrotropics (Africa) and the Australasian region, with Australia and various parts of sub-Saharan Africa supporting exceptionally high numbers of resident and endemic plover and lapwing species.

There are roughly 8 native plover species in Canada, adding up to millions of individual birds in total!

More on another occasion...

Please comment if you wish.

Barry the Birder



 



No comments: