Total Pageviews

Jul 18, 2019

Another Osprey nest found nearby...

Photos by BarrytheBirder
Just a week or so after showing the location of a local Osprey nest, which was new to me, I have come across another one (see photo above), just south of the King-Vaughan townline on Dufferin Street.   I could not tell if it was being used by a family of birds but I will now be certainly looking for Ospreys each time I go by.   You can't have too may of these formidable fish-eaters around as far as I am concerned.   Pictured below is an Osprey, with a 5' wingspan, that I photographed in the parking lot at Seneca College/Eaton Hall a couple of years ago.   I am left wondering if an Osprey built the nest on a platform that was a functional, operating piece of equipment for the telecommunications tower, or whether whoever maintains these towers is now adding platforms specifically for nesting Ospreys as an alternative to the big birds interfering with sensitive equipment.   It's a thought.



Please comment if you wish.
BarrytheBirder

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hi Barry. I was cleaning up my email and came across one supposedly from you, from earlier in July. I replied to it as it seemed legit with your name, address, phone #, etc. But it bounced back. So maybe it was a hack? Cool on a nearby Osprey nest for you. They are fun birds to watch. Cheers! Rob